Jan 2, 2009

Tesla - Forever More (2008)


Telsa return in 2008 with their first new studio album since 2004's Into The Now, which debuted on the Billboard Top 200 at #31 and featured the mainstream rock hits: "Caught in a Dream" and "Words Can't Explain". Tesla is a Hard Rock band formed in Sacramento, California in 1984, and they have sold over 16 million albums in the US as of 2008. Forever More is their seventh studio album. This is Tesla's first album to be produced by Terry Thomas since 1994's Bust a Nut. The album was engineered by Michael Rosen, who worked with the band on their Into the Now album and marks the first full album of original material for new guitarist Dave Rude.

Forever More is easily one of the most highly anticipated albums of 2008 for this listener. I am a big fan of Tesla, and have been for many years. Their cover albums from 2007 Real to Reel Volume 1 and 2 were really good, and I have had high hopes that the band would put out a CD with some new kick ass tunes for me (and everyone else) to enjoy.

Forever More finally hits stores October 7th. It has been over four and half years since their last studio album, Into the Now. I can gladly say that this album was worth the wait.

The title and opening track “Forever More” has more of a modern feel to it. It reminds me a lot of the sound from the Into the Now record. Frank Hannon’s trademark sounds show up often on this song. This one grows on me each time I hear it.

I Wanna Live” is a great new rocking tune from Tesla. This is their first single, and it ought to be a hit.


Believe it or not, “One Day At A Time” rocks even harder than “I Wanna Live”. This song ought to be a new concert staple for Tesla.

The first time I heard the song “So What” was right here at Rock Kingdoms. I liked this song the first time I heard it, and still do. (Click here to listen to “So What”).

Each time I hear “Just In Case” I think to myself, man this ought to be a monster hit. This song sound is more similar in sound to The Great Radio Controversy. This song ought to be huge, if radio picks it up. Great stuff!

There are so many good songs on this disc, it is hard to call them all favorites, but “Fallin’ Apart” is definitely one of mine.

“Breakin’ Free” is a very moody sounding tune by Tesla. In fact, I don’t recall hearing them do a song anything like this one before. This song has some modern bass tones, and guitar sounds that initially reminded me of Tool in the beginning of the song. It then morphs into a sound that is more reminiscent of Into the Now. This isn’t my favorite song on Forever More, but isn’t bad either.

“All of Me” also has a very modern sound to it. This is a very mainstream rocker that ought to draw some new fans to Tesla.

I think the song ‘The First Time” should have been named “Extraordinary”, but aside from that, this is a pretty cool tune. Dave Rude breaks out the slide guitar on this bluesy rocker.

Tesla has been performing “Pvt. Ledbetter” during their live shows in 2008, so I was already very familiar with this song. This is also on Tesla’s new DVD, Comin’ Atcha Live. This is another solid tune and is also one of my favorites on Forever More.

“In A Hole Again” has more of that modern sound to it. I love Hannon’s solos on this song, but as a whole (no pun intended) this is my least favorite track on this disc.

The closing track “The Game” has a heavier edge to it, and sounds like it could have been a left over track from the Bust A Nut record. Dave Rude and Frank Hannon really jam on this killer song. This is a really cool tune to close out the album.

Forever More is every bit the album that I hoped it would be. Is it Tesla’s best work? No, not by any means, but it is really good. Forever More is better than their last studio effort Into the Now, and will please Tesla fans everywhere. Forever More has stellar guitar work, great production, and the fantastic vocals of Jeff Keith. What more could a fan want? This is highly recommended listening!

You can get your copy of Forever More at Rock Kingdom's Music Store
Listen to sample

No comments:

Post a Comment